Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home | News | Site Map
Frequently asked about links:

Active Topics Around the Forums

Current SEPTA's Bus & Light Rail Assignments by Depot (includes Norristown High Speed Line)
Push Pull Assignments
Vehicle Overhaul Status Page
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Septa Uniforms...Perhaps polo shirts?
Topic Started: Oct 27 2012, 09:02 AM (1,147 Views)
svbusdriver
New Rider
[ * ]
I was just wondering if anyone on here knew why SEPTA has taken such a hard stance on the button down uniform shirt? I mean, don't get me wrong, they look fine, but most all other agencies allow their operators to wear polo shirts, which, if done right, look just as good.

To cite a few examples, Lynx in Orlando, Florida allows polos in a choice of 7 or 8 different colors...Your choice by day...Of course with company name and logo, and op payroll, Operator name optional.

Port Authority relaxed its policy in 96, allowing polos (black or tan) logo and payroll, and even took it one step further with shorts for the men, and skirts for the ladies.

Operators at both took a few months to warm up to them, but now button down is rare at either of these...just to name a few examples. The operators say its much more comfortable. Trust me, I know from the Port Authority end.

Also, bigger operators look better in polos instead of buttons that are bulging and popping... Don't ask how I know...lol

I was just simply curious why they haven't allowed the more comfortable uniforms.

Edited by svbusdriver, Oct 27 2012, 09:24 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Septa3371CSX1
Member Avatar
Septa3371CSX1
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SEPTA used to allow uniform shirts that were polos. They were mostly worn by Red Arrow / UTU 1594 operators and they had red, navy blue, and light blue. The red ones were banned in late 2004. I also saw Elmwood Operators wearing light blue polos back in summer of 2004. The polos were banned all together at Victory in the spring of 2010 after a few higher ups from 1234 came out to 69th Street and saw some of the polos and couldn't tell who was an operator and who was a mechanic since some of the operators wore the same polo shirts for years and they started looking real tattered. Since then everyone has been stuck with the light blue oxfords. I agree polos aren't bad and they actually work out good as summer uniforms but I can also see what the management people saw.

SEPTA also once allowed uniform shorts but those were banned a few years ago. The reason I heard from one operator (and I don't know how true this is) is that a driver had an offensive tattoo on his leg and he essentially ruined it for everyone. Female operators are still allowed to wear skirts in warmer weather though - don't ask me why the double standard exists.

Ken S.
Member Avatar
P&W Silverliner Anyone?
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Septa3371CSX1
Oct 27 2012, 09:26 AM
SEPTA used to allow uniform shirts that were polos. They were mostly worn by Red Arrow / UTU 1594 operators and they had red, navy blue, and light blue. The red ones were banned in late 2004. I also saw Elmwood Operators wearing light blue polos back in summer of 2004. The polos were banned all together at Victory in the spring of 2010 after a few higher ups from 1234 came out to 69th Street and saw some of the polos and couldn't tell who was an operator and who was a mechanic since some of the operators wore the same polo shirts for years and they started looking real tattered. Since then everyone has been stuck with the light blue oxfords. I agree polos aren't bad and they actually work out good as summer uniforms but I can also see what the management people saw.

SEPTA also once allowed uniform shorts but those were banned a few years ago. The reason I heard from one operator (and I don't know how true this is) is that a driver had an offensive tattoo on his leg and he essentially ruined it for everyone. Female operators are still allowed to wear skirts in warmer weather though - don't ask me why the double standard exists.
Do Female RRD conductors still wear skirts? I've seen a few in my travels on the RRD.

NYCTA/MaBSTOA allows bus drivers to wear shorts during the summer (with button down shirts, they should try out polos for the summer uniforms) so I don't know how 1234 can get upset over a tattoo being shown while NYCTA doesn't. I'm not sure about MTA Bus Drivers wearing shorts and NJT is "Pants Only" for both genders.

svbusdriver
New Rider
[ * ]
I don't know, but it seems as thought that (polos) should be allowed as a option, at least... just my opinion...

They did mess it up a little at PAT too...they gave the road supervisors (road repairs) the white polos, and the drivers had black...(behind the windshield) Instructors and other supervisors had green and burgundy...very sharp

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Operations · Next Topic »
Add Reply